1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located in Shinyi Area of Taipei. In 1990, the area was designated as Taipei Financial Zone. So, in the jungle of Taipei City Government, World Trade Center and several hot and attractive department stores such as Warner Village etc., the world’s tallest building – Taipei 101 was gracefully erected. Once you raise your head up, the 101 Building’s gorgeous view will project to your eyes at any time. It sometimes gliders, it sometimes is surrounded with stars and the moon lingers, it sometimes hangs at the rainbow and sometimes is half-masked in cloud and mist. After practically visiting it, its gorgeous architecture and top-caliber design make its neighbor like us to be so proud of it. No wonder, within such a short period of time, it has jumped to be a viewpoint that foreign tourists must see when they come to Taiwan.
2. Summary of Our Project
Taipei 101 was named as “the World’s Tallest Building” in October 2004 and was also publicized on the National Geographic Channel with “Salute to the Mega Structures”. The characteristics of the building are to merge the oriental Chinese type of building into western technology. Wishful, copper coins, dragon-bone roof and segment-by-segment rising sloping walls indicate the booming wealth and nobility so that she can fully express Taipei 101 building as an international financial center with jamming crowds and finances; high-speed elevator, wind-resisting damper and the very high Viewpoint Stage are all manifestation of high-tech. Taipei 101 is a landmark of Taipei and also a showcase for exhibiting Taiwan to the entire world.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our school provides ADSL for linking to internet with an upload speed of 2MB and download speed of 384 KB. There are 4 computer classrooms, one multimedia teaching materials producing center. There is a desktop computer in every classroom of the school and there are several notebook computers provided for teachers to use. Every computer has is provided with an exclusive line for connecting to internet and various web services are available for application through the server. The school’s servers include Web Server, Mail Server, DNS Server and Proxy Server that provide convenient online application environment. Every student has his or her own E-mail address and has the capability of web making.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1)We always neglect what we have. Obviously, Taipei 101 is our school’s neghbor. It makes us consider she is easy to touch. Therefore, special attention is not paid to her, naturally, intentional visit to her is not quite an option. Until through this research, we have particularly tried to know more about her. After understanding, we came to realize that the reason why Taipei 101 has managed to get into National Geographic Channel’s “Salute to Mega Structures” does make sense. We always neglect what we have. (2)Expensive Visit. To visist “Taipei 101” is an expensive trip. To research “Taipei 101”, the Viewpoint Stage located at 89th floor is a part absolutely not to be missed. The ticket is NT$ 300 per one at group admission rate. Going higher up to the outdoor Viewpoint Stage at 91st floor, then an additional NT$100 is required. To elementary students, it was really expensive. Fortunately, the parents all supported us so that our research could successfully process. (3)Limited Time. The time was limited. Our members came from 6 classrooms and organized as 6 teams. Every week, there was only one team provided with 2 sessions of class hour to meet the directing teachers. Therefore, we frequently have to catch up with the running time so that only responsibility system had to be applied as volunteer. Each team was responsible for one part of the task, and all parts from different teams were finally combined together like playing a jigsaw puzzle. During the process, there were separate tasks and there were also cooperation. It made us feel really pleasant.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Teachers and students jointly aim for the same target – to have striven with utmost effort for exhibiting Taipei 101 to the whole world with her noble and gorgeous beauty. Humbly viewing other team’s piece of works with exchange of information, sometimes we felt like to be walking on the very scene without any progress, but after turning back for a glance, we’d discovered that “Rome was finally built.” It seems building of a sky-scraper can not linger on a dreaming stage; instead, we should make the dream come true like Taipei 101 in creating our uniqueness!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. In the 9-year consistent education, the school’s standard curricula are taught with strong emphasis on the school’s distinguishing features. The teachers themselves have integrated the school’s resources with the community’s characteristics in planning the school’s standard curricula in person. Taipei 101 is our new neighbor, the world’s tallest sky-scraper, the crystal of high-tech and the oriental culture and the pride of her citizens. According to the statistics of Taipei 101 Public Relation Section, from her grand opening up to the present, most of her visitors interviewed were foreigners, very few local, and the number of residents from her neighborhood was fewer. The reason is our local citizens do not quite understand her, they consider her existence is merely an additional shopping center. Through this research of ours, regardless of written report or photographs, is certain to be very thorough reference information designated in our school’s standard curriculum to stimulate the residents’ passion to love the village to love Taipei 101. It will be an extra new and hot viewpoint to the school’s outdoor teaching. Of course, through our interaction with Taipei 101, we expect that they can provide a feedback package to the students of the community in reducing the admission ticket fare to them. This will get more neighbors by igniting their desires of bodily visiting Taipei 101 with passion.
2. Our school’s development prospects emphasize students to have love, parents to have affection, teachers with dreams. The sky-scraper Taipei 101 is a kind of approach. She is the imagination of high-tech and also the imagination of living. She is precisely, dare to innovate, dare to dream so that it is a successful example of practically getting our dream come true!