1. Description of Our Community
The Galapagos Islands are located in Ecuador. In 1959 The Galapagos Islands became a National Park and in the late 1970’s the Galapagos Islands were declared a World Heritage site by Unesco. The islands are maintained and operated by the Ecuador and Galapagos National Park Services and the Charles Darwin Research Station. About 96% of the islands are part of the national park with the remaining 4% inhabited by about 14,000 people (mostly on the island of Santa Cruz).
2. Summary of Our Project
The purpose of our project is to show the world the Galapagos Islands. We want to portrait Galapagos’s vegetation, animals, and the importance of its conservation. Also, we want to show the world their contribution to the ecosystem, as well as Galapagos’s unique animal and vegetation species.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:not sure
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:1
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Holy Child School just started in 2008. We have wireless access to internet in every place in the school and at least one computer and a plasma TV in each classroom, so it was easy to access to the information we required.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
Some of the technical obstacles that we had to overcome were that access to some programs needed, was not available. Another problem was that our students left for vacations at the end of January, making it more difficult to get together and sort some of the scientific information.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
It was a great experience! A real cooperative project and great opportunity to share, to teach, to learn, to enjoy and to live! “The Galapagos Islands are a unique place, with unique species that can’t be found anywhere else. Let’s make everything we can to preserve them for future generations”.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
This project supported the following subjects: Social Studies and Science: Previous the trip, the students were asked to research about the islands and the environmental preservation and conservation efforts to maintain the islands as a World Heritage to pass on to future generations. During the trip, we found a living laboratory to study the different species and vegetation. Technology: Designing, layout, and building a web page. Language Arts: Using elements of writing to describe a personal experience. Cooperative Learning: We also had the opportunity to work in cooperative groups in a real life project. . We had to divide ourselves in groups, accept different assignments, meet the dates given and put all the information together to publish it in the net. We discovered that it is better to work in groups and that there are several organizations that are willing to share their knowledge and experience with students interested in their field. The Charles Darwin Station and the Park Management showed us all the efforts they do to protect and to preserve this wonder of the world. Art: It was also an interesting task to take the right picture to show what the Galapagos Islands are. Our purpose is to show through pictures the most important facts about this fantastic place.