1. Description of Our Community
Qingshuiyi is located in the center of Yuzhong County. It neighbors Zhonglianchuan and Weiying Township to the east and borders on Gancaodian Town and Xinying Township to the south; it’s adjacent to Xiaokangying and Sanjiaocheng Township in the west and contiguous to Xiaguanying Town in the north. Qingshui Village, the site of township government, is 15 kilometers away from the county town. Longhai Railway, 312 national road and Chanliu Freeway cross here. Qingshuiyi covers an area of 163.5 square kilometers with 69377.18 acres of arable land. There are 5,117 families and 21,838 residents. It consists of 16 villages and 102 village groups. Qingshuiyi Junior Middle School of Yuzhong County, founded in 1985, is an independent rural middle school. It covers 30,000 square meters with 4,368 square meters of building area. It now has 14 classes and 573 students. “Soul Harbor” psychological counseling room was established in August of 2008, the main tasks of which are to investigate students’ psychological health, provide counseling and guidance for them, organize and conduct helping and supporting for students as well as carry on psychological health education and guidance to teachers. For three years, the counseling room has conducted psychological investigation and guidance for 800 students and 50 teachers, which has been affirmed by Education Bureau of Yuzhong. The achievements of “Soul Harbor” have been recorded in Yuzhong County Educational Chorography
2. Summary of Our Project
In September 16th we began planning to participate in webpage game at Zhang Yinghua under the guidance of teacher registration is successful, then the collection of material and information, at the same time we interviewed the headmaster of the school,' heart station' responsible person, students and parents of students, and psychological counseling teachers, and for all the information and pictures for the finishing. After more than a month of preparation, the administrator of the help of the teacher, began to upload webpage, in November 5 recently successfully completed webpage uploads. Along the way, there are a lot of hardships, also saw the school for students, teachers' psychological health education seriously, also discovered a few problems from which, give us a lot of inspiration
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:none
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:none
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dial-up modem
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:1
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Time limitation. We are all students in Grade Eight, and our study task is too hard. Except school time, we couldn’t get more spare time to get down to make web pages. So we had to spend evenings and spare time between classes to make interviews and web pages. 2. Internet limitation. Owing to slow network speed and limited computers as well as the fact that our teachers should sometimes work on those computers, we just had only a little time to surf the Internet. In addition, we had to go to the primary school to use their computers. In this way, we solved our difficulties to some extent. 3. Difficulties in using computers. Because the students involving in the competition came from countryside and didn’t know much about Internet, our school master specially invited computer teachers and guidance teachers to give us training and guidance. 4. Limited digital cameras. There is only one digital camera in our school. It should satisfy students’ use to write western stories while meeting the use for school work and promotion, so we had little chance to use it. It is fortunate that Western Story of Qianxiangwancai presented our school a digital camera which could basically satisfy our request.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
Along the way, we have gained a lot. Not only our knowledge has been broadened but our minds have been expanded. During the activity, we have learned much about computer, web page making and interview skills. In addition, we have learned about the importance of psychological health education for students and teacher as well as how to carry on this kind of education.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
This time we base our activity on “psychological health education”, and we also combine it not only with art, computer and social intercourse but with the teaching work in our school. In order to make more students realize the importance of mental health, we have introduced psychological health into classes by especially incorporating it into school-based curriculum -- Sun and Rain. Our main purpose for participation in the competition is to promote our hometown and psychological counseling room of our school, so as to let more people know about and pay attention to students’ psychological health education.