1. Description of Our Community
The Taipei Botanical Garden, located in the southwestern part of Taipei, draws a large number of visitors throughout the year. This beautiful garden was founded in 1921, though it has been in existence since 1895. During World War II, the garden was deserted. After the war, it has been taken over and maintained by the Taiwan Forestry Research Institute. Currently, this garden boasts over 1500 plant species and spectacular lotus blooms in summer. In additional to various plants, the Taipei Botanical garden offers a very special place to visit—Taiwan Bu-Cheng-Shih-Szyamen (administrative office of Ching Dynasty).
2. Summary of Our Project
As students of Jianguo Senior High School, the reason to choose Taiwan Bu-Cheng-Shih-Szyamen as the subject of our research is very simple—we are neighbors. Through visiting this historic site and reading books and documents, we hope to give a complete and detailed description of this historic site. Our research will include the structure of this building, administrative commissioners, and architectural conservation. We expect the result of our research can give the public a better understand of this beautiful cultural heritage and raise public awareness of the necessity to preserve ancient and historic buildings.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our school has four computer classrooms. And each classroom has 40computers.We use Broadband Internet, wireless network, academic network to do the project.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) School work and exams fill up all our time and we need to put efforts on the participation in International Schools Cyberfair. We need to make the best use of time. Because each teacher of us put high expectation on our Humanity and Social Group and we need to present the project well. Summaries, translation, transcripts, commentaries… a lot of work need to be done. But these also help us a lot while developing the website and achieving for higher efficiency.
(2) When we began collecting data for Public Administration Hall, we found only scattered data. There has been no official website available and diversified data on the Internet are lack of reliability. Later, we consulted with Mr. Chuang Deren and had some ideas to get started. Then, we decided to focus on the research of books and relevant papers. We still had no idea about how to start our project when we were at the National Central Library among tons of information.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
We selected Public Administration Hall at Taipei Botanical Garden as our research subject. Through on-site investigation as well as book and paper reading, we would like to introduce Public Administration Hall in details. Our research is divided into themes of architectural structure, governors of Public Administration Hall, historical background and restoration of historical site. We expect the research results will provide the public with basic concept of restoration and maintenance of historical site as well as give comprehensive interpretation about the value of the existence of Public Administration Hall.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
In this project, we benefit the most from the summary and quotation techniques. We even understand a little bit of historical research method and academic research. We also realize the importance of the ability to raise questions in research but at school, we only receive limited training and guidelines in this regard. On the other hand, our teachers provide us the guidance and assistance to acquire basic academic knowledge and this is very helpful for us to look for more in-depth understanding. With studies on historical sites and reading for thesis, we lay the good foundation for further learning. In this era of rapid advancement of science and technology, on-line teaching becomes the norm. We all believe this will make our learning more efficient and saves us time to duplicate or convey more difficult concepts, but for some people, it takes time and courage to make the best use of the technology.