1. Description of Our Community
The study is aimed to discuss the related issues of disaster prevention and conservation in Neopu Mudstone Area Soil and Water Conservation Park through a thorough inquiry into the past, the present, and the future of Neopu Mudstone Area in Longxing in the district of Longci. In this study, we present the use of Literature review, field observation, and interviews with localists as analytical methods not only to set up the related basic information concerning the water and soil conservation,vegetation recovery, and ecological conservation for Neopu Mudstone Area, but also to offer our teams’ confusion and opinions about the ecological issues of Neopu Mudstone Area. We learn to be close to our environment and be part of our environment by actions, and express our views of environmental issues.
It is hoped that the results of this study could have considerable impact on rasing the awareness of the public about the water and soil conservation and ecological conservation of Mudstone Area. Moreover, the successful reconstuction on Neopu Mudstone Area will led to everyone to protect our environment.
2. Summary of Our Project
Neopu Mudstone Area, located at Longxing Community in the district of Longci in Tainan City, has been undergone erosion on the surface and washed out by the streams over the years, forming into infertile and bare mudstone and displacing alternatively between hills and valleys. In order to achieve multiple objective including the effect of water and soil conservation, decrease of downstream flood, maintaining the characteristics of this landscope, and advocating the environmental ecological education, Soil and Water Conservation Bureau has set stage diversion in the the Bi-Tzu-Gou Creek watershed to conduct water and soil conservation, such as building earth dams and embankments and establishing vigor on bare slopes. Together with the Longci District Office and community residents endeavor, not only the recreation facilities in Bi-Tzu-Gou Creek watershed, like pathways and pavilions, but alsothe construction of intergal environment of ecology, industry, and recreation , like ecologyhabitat and hydrophile space are completed to achieve the desired effect of disaster prevention, ecological conservation, near-natural landscape,and recreation, so as to reach a new mile stone after the expo tp forge the vision with men peacefully co-existing with environment, attaining the goal of sustainable development and transforming the desolute surface as the Moon into an oasis full of vitality.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Thanks to the modern technology, we could use social network, like e-mail and Google Drive, to discuss our project and to upload some files to a certain websites with groups and our parents. So we could observe and learn from each other’s work, even our parents and Longxing Community could use that way to communicate with our groups.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
Obstacles: 1.We didn’t have sufficient time as we had so much works to be done before the tour to Neopu, so we failed to collect all the production. Everyone was in such a hurry. 2.There is still room for our writing skills because we found the responses and the research recordings we wrote were not fluent or not enough words to express our thinking. Solutions: 1.Our teacher taught us to use the advanced features of PowerPoint2010 to transform PowerPoint into pictures and apply them into Web templates which has been set well. Meanwhile, it’s very convenient for us to post our files onto the Web templates which has been fixed already to solve our obstacles when making a HTML website. With this method of making a website, we got confident and satisfaction. 2.The features of social network and the concept of Mind map help us enhance our thinking ability. We even made a lot of revision on the same sentences for many times by discussion on social network and the method of Mind map to make what we said and what we wrote more logical and clearer. Also, we set our own workshop and had a meeting once a week for half an year. We used the time at our workshop to present our performance, to decide our homework, and to take notes of our discussion. Therefore, we made a lot of progress on writing.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
In this activity, we were puzzled and confused of the term “Biological Engineering” when searching related information. And then, we planned some learning tasks to solve our problems step by step, for example, we had several times of field investigation to collect our questions. In this way, we were happy that we worked it out.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Be active to learn, understand, and take actions to care for our school communities and environment. 2. Learn about the global environmental issues and the effects toward the human society and know some recent related solutions. 3. Learn how to express our opinions, share our experiences, and respect different perspectives. Also, it’s a good chance to take part in extracurricular activities outside the school and to make sure we are responsible for our project. 4. Career planning and lifelong learning: At first, we need to make plans, make schedules for future works, arrange interviews, and search for information, resources, and assistance. 5. Cultural learning and international understanding: We explore the real situations of the water conservation at mudstone area and compare the result with other coutries. 6. Active searching and researchingL We make a project and find out problems by ourselves, and we use our knowledge and skills to recode and organize our presentation to finish the project.
1) What information tools & technologies did you used to complete your CyberFair project?
1.Using computers, notebooks, and iPad: Search on the net, collect and organize our files, and make a website for our project 2. The Internet and the Social Networks: Search and transport the data, and communicate with our teammates, parents, and local residents to have discussions, interaction, and sharing files. 3. Digital video, camera, audio recorder, single beam projector: Photography, videography and record of our events, projector for presentation 4. Computers Softwares: (1) Document Processing: Word?PowerPoint (2) Image Processing: PhotoCap (3) Digital Video/Audio Processing: Wink (4) Web authoring: Dreamweaver
2) In what ways did you act as "ambassadors" and spokespersons for your CyberFair project both on-line and in person.
1. With the guide of Mudstone area, we had the chance to watch the demonstration of the watershed which had won the prize of Eco-Engineering area in 2003. We hoped to spread the information to the public through the presentation of webpages. 2. By the means of local field investigations and surveys, we would like to make our communitiy understand our project and get further information about revegetation, even to discuss how water and soil conservation affect the local sightseeing. 3. Encourage parents to participate the project together with children and to remind them to watch other webpages from diiferent countries in this cyberfair. 4. Form a team of school docents, make a schedule of presenting the project result to other classes to let them understand the importance of water and soil conservation. 5. Provide the web link on the school webpages to students, parents, and the public.
3) What has been the impact of your project on your community?
1.We saw the unachivable endeaver that the local residents had used the method of eco-engineering to revegetate the mudstone area to manage the resources of sightseeing and maintain the precious greenland on this bald soils. 2. The building of the Neopu Mudstone Area Soil and Water Conservation Park has become not only a wonderful site for school field trips and tourists visiting but also a blessed land for motivating the local residents to gather together, to envolve in the training of guidence and manage the area, and to participate in the courses of rural revival. 3. Owing to the long procedure for us to understand the method of eco-engineering, we simplify the explanation of our presentation to the firsr grade stduents at our school. In this way, it's easy for them to understand the meaning of environmental protection and learn the spirit of overcoming the environmental problems and the deep love for the land.
4) How did your project involve other members of your community as helpers and volunteers?
1. During the project, supports from children’s parents motivate us most to have them stay beside to help arrange outdoor interviews, organize the recordings, solve the traffic problems, and collect alll the related information. 2. The local guide Aunt Zhang, a Project Manager of Lung-Hsing Community, did a lot of favor. And we also had a nice talk with the famous local master of Taiwaness Poetry. We really deeply appreciated the local residents had assisted us with all efforts. 3. The loca community officers and residents gave us timely help and solved our problems.
5) Discoveries, Lessons and Surprises (Optional)
1. Before joining in this project, we knew nothing about Cyber Fair, not even to think about how to make a complete project. With time passing and several times of meeting, discussions, and interviews did make us penetrate deeply into that learning can be so fun in diversity ways. On the progress, we did encounter so many unknown problems, feel a lot of frustration, and try to balance the burdens between school works, personal affairs, and this project. Getting overcome the difficulties absolutely helped us learned a lot, including having chances to get along with different people, and finding our own specialties and potential.
2. The courses of exploring and investigation, which took us a long period of time, usually required us to find out our resolutions by ourselves and to cooperate with our groups to finish our tasks. During this time, our instructors and parents always accompanied us to experience everything, guide us to use our talents, motivate us to do what we thought to be impossible, and get close to our groups. We all felt so wonderful to work this project with groups.
3. In these few months, we saw the story of the great cooperation between the government and the local community which made a bad land into a blessed land. Every time we made a field investigation, we felt touched by the transformation of Lung-Hsing Community whose residents made endeavors to change the environmental situations, to do water and soil conservation to protect their homes, and to manage their mudstone area to develop the industry of sightseeing. What they did to this land is to make the desolate soil into a green oasis and attract wild animals to live here. It’s really impressive and affecting.
View our CyberFair Project
(Project ID: 7701)