1. Description of Our Community
Huwei town is located in the center part of Yunlin County, which is surrounded by the other three counties, Changhua, Nantou, and Chiayi. Yunlin county is a warm place with suitable conditions for agricultural development. Therefore Yunlin is also known as “City of Agriculture”. The total area of Huwei town is 68.7420 km2, with the population of 70,555. Huwei town has a nickname of “Sugar City”, which plays an important role of economy. The town is named after Huwei River, it became the sugar producing center since the Japanese colonial period. We hope that TSC will have a brilliant and bright future with the centuried foundation.
2. Summary of Our Project
Since the school founder decided to build Victoria Academy, they rent the land from TSC for 50 years. Our teachers told us to appreciate what we have. April showers bring May flowers, we should not to forget the kindness of TSC. When the school has been approved to high quality status by the government, our social study teachers decided to make a research about TSC. We separate the project into seven sections: background of the research, history of the sugar industry, organization of Huwei Sugar Mill, the growth and produce of sugar, antiquities in Sugar Mill, legend of Sugar Mill railroad, and transform of the sugar industry.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
The main problem we have faced is that sugar is usually harvested around the end of the year, which is close to the end of semester. This made our visit to the sugar mill quite difficult to arrange. Thus, we decided to visit Huwei Sugar Mill several times, first during the factory maintenance period, the other is during production period. It is easier to find out more information in Sugar Mill. The way from our school to Huwei Sugar Mill takes us twenty minutes. In some case, we visited Huwei Sugar Mill in our free time. Also, facebook group helps us communicate and share information easily, all the students and teachers are able to know directly about the progress of the plan.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
6. Sugar plays an important role since Taiwan had its first written history. From the Age of Discovery, Dutch colonial period, until the Cheng dynasty, Qing dynasty, Japanese colonial period and Independent, Taiwan sugar flourish as time pass by which effect seriously on the government and the civil economy. It is obvious that sugar stands in a pivotal position throughout the whole Taiwan development. The sugar mill has once brought prosperity to the small town. The running semi- trains, oxcarts, and farmers gradually become a part of our memories as the 105 years of history fades.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
The goal of the school is to cultivate students’ abilities of cooperative learning and independent study. Chinese, Social Studies, Science and Technology, and also other related disciplines are combined within the project. In addition to understand Yunlin enterprises as well as Huwei Sugar Mill, the in-depth comprehension of the Southwest region's natural environment involves social studies such as history, geography, and economy. We believe that only caring and understanding the region near us, can give us the ability to develop deeply in Taiwan, then to the overseas. We want to share our joyful, pride, and discovery of local enterprises to the whole world, and make Taiwan international and worldwide.