1. Description of Our Community
The subject of our project is Chuan-Ming Ecological Education Sericulture Farm in Shitan, Miaoli County. Mr. Chuan-Ming Tu, a never-quitting silkworm rearer, has strived for sericutlture for nearly 40 years. He established the Chuan-Ming Ecological Education Museum to promote the knowledge and information of sericulture, and to publicize the silk-related products. The sericulture industry he has preserved can well advocate for the local cultures in Shitan.
2. Summary of Our Project
We started our study with a vast investigation in related literature, including webpages,journals,and books, to have a basic idea about Mr.Tu as well as the history and transformation of sericulture industry. After that we had several interviews with Mr.Tu We trying to understand Mr.Tu's difficulties during transformation, and his vision for the future. In those interviews, we visited Mr.Tu in his “ Chuan-Ming Ecological Education Sericulture Farm“ in Shi-tan , which was established in 1990s, not only as researcher but also as tourists, to study as well as enjoy the glamourous variety of sericulture.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
It’s more difficult to search the information of Sericulture from the network and book store, the information is a challenge to us because Mr.Tu cannot remember the date clearly. After more efforts,we sort out the Sericulture by finding some information form the network, Mr.Tu’s explanation and seeing the video. Sometimes we will make a optional choice together for this webpage after detail discussion.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
1. To learn more about Mr. Tu's leadership; 2. To have a better knowledge of how Mr. Tu built his silkworm rearing business; 3. To help people know more about the past, the present, and the future of sericulture; 4. To inform people of economic value and contribution of sericulture industry.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
We use the Xara and Flash sofeware to build the website,also improve our English ability. We learn how to list the question before to excute a interview, we also learn how to make a information arrangement. And stamp the report in this way on the website.