1. Description of Our Community
The building of the Chi-Sing Irrigation Association is located near the exit 2 of the Jiantan MRT Station. We walked in and out of there every day, but we never paid attention to it to understand what kind of organization the Irrigation Association was; we were not sure about it. Although Irrigation Association was in our neighborhood, we were not familiar with it. Therefore, we came up with the idea of visiting and understanding the Irrigation Association.
2. Summary of Our Project
There are three main objectives of our special study, listing sequentially: (1) To understand the organizational structure and work content of Chi-Sing Irrigation Association. Let students understand the history and major work items of the Irrigation Association. (2) To understand the scope of services, irrigation construction and functions of Chi-Sing Irrigation Association. Take the students to investigate on site, and understand the waterway system of the Irrigation Association, and visit the irrigation facilities. (3) To understand and propagate Chi-Sing Irrigation Association Design questionnaire and propagate to let people know the work service of Irrigation Association.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Computer classroom was the main place where we discussed the issues, and internet access was very smooth, so we could use it without worry, and further benefited by the Wi-Fi connection and 4G, so when we studied the issues, even we had to leave the classroom, we could still be able to use our smartphones or tablets to conduct our discussions for relevant applications through GOOGLE.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Member is unable to participate due to time issue Students were from different classes, and teachers were busy in class. Therefore, in the process of our research, we could only take lunch break time at noon to discuss, or for the teacher to guide students to visit and experience on Wednesday afternoon. (2) The methods and techniques of interview In this research activity, we needed to consult the president and team leader of the Irrigation Association for many subjects; therefore, learning to come up with questions and interview technique is something we needed to overcome. In each interview, we used voice recording, and extracted the key points afterwards to keep the contents of the interview. (3) Breakthrough in problem-solving with computer technology In webpage design, there are many parts that required software application, such as graphics design software for editing, Flash animation production, video editing, etc. Since the members contacted the related fields the first time, so they spent more time for learning how to use the software.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
The special research itself is an interdisciplinary learning process, and these learning processes are closely related to school curricula. Therefore, doing research every time is equivalent to reviewing and integrating our achievements in school learning. In this study, we were also combining with many subjects to let students better develop their potentials. In language – during this study, we used a huge amount of words to record; students needed to put what they heard, saw, understood and felt into words; therefore, it tested their language proficiency in school for further practical use. In mathematics – during the questionnaire activities, students learned the use of pie charts, and digitally analyzed the students’ ideas, making our research more goal-oriented. In society – the subject of research in the cyber space is often closely related to the surroundings of our lives, but we could also implement it through research, discovery of problems, analysis of problems, and then achieve problem-solving. This is the best way to put social textbooks into life. In nature and technology - this study can be the best chance to show how computer skills the students have learned could expand through various researches, so as to enable the students to learn more about how to use computers to explore what they saw and thought into practical uses.