1. Description of Our Community
1. Background of Nanguo Elementary School Nanguo Elementary School was founded over 90 years ago during the Japanese Occupation Period. Located in Changhua City, Changhua County, the school is surrounded by government agencies, colleges and universities and medical institutions. Nanguo Elementary School has a tradition of simplicity and honesty, as well as a philosophy of innovations and diversity. We interact frequently with community residents and neighboring schools so that we are endowed with extensive community resources and diversified human resources. We therefore want to identify a research topic from our community life.
2. Background of Cheng Shin Tire The large number of non-tech manufacturers in Changhua remains one of the economic pillars in Taiwan. Cheng Shin Tire is one of the non-tech manufacturers that have successfully transformed themselves. The recipe of its success lies in a balance between the old and the new and the creation of a second lease of life. We seek to identify a research topic from local manufacturers, in order to prove that it is possible to become a hero from zero.
2. Summary of Our Project
Cheng Shin Tire has manufacturing facilities in Yuanlin, Zhongzhuang, Dacun and Hsichou, Changhua County. Throughout its 40 years history, it has been providing job opportunities and driving the local economy. Its brand name, Maxxis, is known internationally. Cheng Shin Tire is the first Taiwanese company that became one of the top 10 tire manufacturers in the world. We hope to introduce the knowledge regarding tires and the dedications of Cheng Shin Tire with this Cyberfair project and have fun with our creative activities.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:2-3
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
1. Internet at school The network in school is part of Taiwan Academic Network (TaNet). As all the members are in the gifted and talented class, we have access to the computers and Internet available to these classes. Each of us has one computer, with authorized software, to search information and edit/produce texts, pictures, videos and webpages. 2. Internet at home As each family has its own requirements for the Internet, the network infrastructure varies from one family to another. All families have access to broadband, sufficient for our needs to search information. However, we used computers and Internet access at school because we had to discuss the project faced-to-faced.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Selection of research topic We were interested in a number of topics and had problems deciding on which one. In the end, anonymous votes selected “Cheng Shin Tire” as our research topic.
2. Questionnaire design As we wanted to understand how different groups of people perceive Cheng Shin Tire, we had to come up with different versions of questionnaires. We were often beating our brains over questionnaire design. After our brainstorming sessions and with the assistance from the teachers, we finally came up with three versions.
3. Limited time We all have different plans after school but we had to work together a lot for this project. It was a little difficult in scheduling. However, we managed to allocate a few timeslots after discussions with family and teachers. Given the time limitations, we completed our tasks with efficiency. This made us realize the importance of schedule planning.
4. Transportation The distance from our school to Cheng Shin Tire is i not manageable by walk. We asked our teachers and p parents to drive us back and forth.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
This Cyberfair project allows us to understand tires we see in our everyday life, and to explore the rubber industry. We came to realize that there is so much knowledge involved in ordinary objects in life. In our interactions with personnel from Cheng Shin Tire, we understand that success requires dedication and attention to details. We were so inspired that we put in 100% of our focus on this research project. In the design of tread patterns and the creative use of waste tires, we witnessed how creativity can generate value. We all learned a lot from this research. It was a valuable experience after we managed to overcome the challenges!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
About Learning Objectives: 1.Mandarin * Data collection & consolidation * Skills in generalization, summarization and writing * Enhancement of presentation skills 2.Math * Calculation of percentages in order to determine the number of questionnaires released * Introduction to descriptive statistics and adoption of appropriate charts according to statistical data 3.Social Sciences * Introduction to the history and development of local companies * Identification of the locations of global facilities with maps and Google Earth 4.Natural Sciences & Technologies * Introduction to rubber as a cash crop * Learning about basic chemistry associated with tire manufacturing, e.g. vulcanization * Understanding of and experience in technological applications in life * Discussion of environment pollutions and preventions 5.Art & Culture * Exercise of creativity on waste tires * Design of cards and briefings 6.Team Work * Cooperation and mutual assistance for project efficiency * Expression of oneself and appropriate communications with team members 7.Career development * Learning about different job functions and job descriptions from company visits * Exploration of interests and aptitudes * Learning the correct work attitudes from company staff