1. Description of Our Community
Our school is located in the national historical and cultural town--- Pingle, which is a high school with nearly 60 years of history, covers more than 70 acres. There are 56 classes, students of nearly 3,000, teaching and administrative staff of 230. Pingle ancient town is in southwest of Chengdu city in Sichuan province's Qionglai city. Pingle ancient town whose history can be traced back to the ancient times, so far, more than 2000 years of history. Pingle ancient town is a national AAAA tourism, tourism development promotes the development of the local economy, with tourism developing, cultural construction has taken on a total sharply change.
Baimo River through the town is the witness of Pingle’s prosperity and civilization, Cultural performances. Pingle ancient town has a long history and culture.Pursuring historic site, salt and iron supported on silk road trade, benefiting from the earliest uses of natural gas. The romantic legend of Sima Xiangru and Zhuo Wenjun has became a household word, which is legendary. Qionglai ceramics, hand-made bamboo craft sparkle indelible. Looking at the mountains, water- playing and health resort of Tian Tai Mountain wonders, serene forest in Qin and Han post road, historical courtyard of Li family, ancient Banyan Bank, history and reality crossing small bridges and water town, green stone road and stilts have constituted a modern version of the Riverside Scene at Qingming Picture, containing a rich cultural heritage.
2. Summary of Our Project
The students who make the Webpage are personally taking part in the PESI- Pingle school English summer camp activities, and they have felt the fun in the summer English training. Through the interview of the PESI volunteers, we get a lot of knowledge, improve the ability of oral English, to further understanding the differences between Chinese and Western culture, cultivate the students' interest in learning English, so as to improve the students' listening and speaking ability, through the communication with the PSEI international teacher, window has been opened to the outside world, not only caused curiosity and longing of the people to the outside world, but also cultivated students the basic etiquette and the ability of international exchanges, enhanced the level of spoken English, validated and used English in class, let the students felt that learning English is not only very important but also useful. Through exploring local social project in the WebFire, some ways of the rapid development of international education have been showed.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:4-6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
Our school has one electron preparing room for teachers, two Internet classrooms, 120 the existing students’ using computers, student’s computer high frequency of use, China Telecom's ADSL (6M) access Internet. A slow Internet connection cannot meet demand.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
1. Lack of experience. Over the network, we communicated with teacher who let students know information of the contest. And we study and formulate the scheme with guidance teacher. 2. Computer operations are not skilled, lacking of basic skills for making Web pages. Tutors took use of rest time to help students learning computer knowledge. In particular, Webpage producing technology, school students joined hands to help each other use to learn computers on the campus network. 3. The internet speed is slow, which has brought great difficulty to project work. School leaders pay highly attentions, they specially equipped with a higher computer intended solely for students producing webpage which greatly increases our interests, it is a decisive guarantee for our study and produce. 4. Scheduling conflicts Reasonable adjustment of spare time, instructor contacted with visited people by telephone in advance for successful visits. 5. Complex and hectic As the first time to participate in CyberFair, studetns processing the data was not in accordance with implementation of planning design-time predicted method, even some confusion, however, after guiding teachers’ the method of guidance and information on Website, we finally finished in orderly as the original thought.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
In the course of interviews and the practice, we benefited a lot, where we feel the spirit of solidarity and simple, establishing confidence, learning to help each other, it not only grows knowledge, but also trainis our sentiment, initial contacts and get social practice ability, we understand it in the process, improving our practical abilities.Through practice, we have a major shift of outlook on life and a qualitative leap. School is designed to train and educate people, where is the important place of inheritance and development of culture, it is not merely a concept of classroom or playground, but also a concept of environment and culture, especially for our students, it is a campus culture of live-vector, of campus culture environment in good health, affecting our health, vibrant up development!
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
The school is the place to cultivate people, is an important place for the inheritance and development of culture, it is not only a concept of the classroom, playground, but also environment and culture, we experience the differences between different cultures and customs in the PESI- Pingle English summer camp, learn to communicate in English, has greatly improved the ability and the interest in learning English. The construction of campus culture is live carrier of a middle school student and campus culture, a good atmosphere of campus culture environment makes us develop healthy with full of youthful spirit!