1. Description of Our Community
CangXi, located at the northern part of Sichuan Basin, south of Qinba mountains and middle reaches of Jialing river, covers an area of 2330 square kilometers, with jurisdiction over 39 towns, 718 villages, 71 residents' committees, a population of 780,000, north to the hometown of the Queen, east to Banan area, west to impregnable pass of Jianmen, south to the ancient city of LangYuan, controlling many magnificent mountains and risky waters, since ancient times it has been the screen of Bashu, a lock for Northen Sichuan. It has a history of more than 1,700 years from the time when it became a county in the Western Jin dynasty, and it is usually called 'the Wonderful County of Northern Sichuan'. Cangxi is a remarkable place producing outstanding people with countless scenic spots. Qiao Xuan in Han dynasty was the top examinee at the court, Wang Yue in the Southern Song dynasty was the top candidate in the highest imperial examinations and the passed-down charming story of Wang Ji who had 'nine sons with eight of them were successful candidates in the highest imperial examinations', three martyrs of Revolution of 1911, whose name would be forever remembered; there is Lijiang Temple, where Dufu(a famous poet in Tang dynasty) accompanied his guests to, and Cangxi, which frequently appeared in the dreams of Luyou( a famous poet in Song dynasty); Wakouzhai, where there happened the fierce war of Zhangfen and Zhanghe(famous warriors in Three Kingdoms)the Dahuocheng, important pass for Southern Song dynasty to fight the oppression of Yuan armies, and there are Congxia Pagoda and Xunle Shuayan with strong ancient flavor. And there are rich cultures and honest local customs.
2. Summary of Our Project
We visited Mr. Yan Songhua, master in our county of painting and calligraphy many times, which makes us further understand the impact of calligraphy and painting on our life and study, and also further recognize the contribution made by Mr. Yan as custodian of Chinese painting and calligraphy to the educational cause and lean a lot of things that we could not learn in classes at school.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:21-50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:2-3
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
E. Additional comments concerning your computer and/or Internet access (Optional):
There is 10 m bandwidth network applied at our school, there are two computer rooms with 120 computers, but there are 26 classes in our school that have computer-related courses with a very tight schedule, therefore we can only use a little time after each class , Wednesday evening and weekend to finish our work.
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
(1) Difficulty in time: every day, our independent study starts from 7:20 in the morning, and our classed ends at 22:00 in the evening, because submitting time of the WebPages was near our mid-term exam, we needed to arrange our rest time reasonably. Besides class-teaching, teacher Liu also had to deal with his work in school 's Communist Youth League, teacher Deng also had work at school' s Accounting Department, and it was their rest time that our teachers spared to give us guidance. (2) Technical difficulties: there were two classmates, for whom it was the first time to process images and make website, and two other classmates , who only knew little about image processing and website making, therefore, at the beginning, there must be teachers guiding us; and because compute crashes happened many times at school computer rooms, in case of some emergency, we had nothing to do except to do everything from the very beginning, considering this, we often borrowed the teacher's laptop to make web pages. (3) Difficulties in interview: Mr. Yan Zonghui had a lot of travel for the countryside lectures, when we used spare time to interview him, disturbing him many times at his rest time, which did affect his normal routine.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
After efforts in these months, we finally managed to write the characters in a decent way. At the very beginning we didn't even know how to hold a pen. In this term, there was one added course--writing class, recently there was a Campus Calligraphy Contest, requiring students to submit one piece of writing of their own. In general, we had many thoughts during the study and interview of Mr. Yam in these months. With the development of modern science and technology, these Chinese civilizations will be submerged in the long river of history. We hope in the future we can still see Chinese history and culture. For Chinese culture we will always adhere to learn and transmit the art of Chinese calligraphy.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
It was well known that traditional Chinese culture was extensive and profound, this time with our own exploration, our understanding of Chinese calligraphy was deepened, and with joint efforts of teachers and us, the pilot calligraphy class for our grade was opened, which made other students learn and deepen their understandings of Chinese culture.