1. Description of Our Community
Lukang is located in the northern part of the Changhua plain. The name Lukang was adopted in the early 17th century; it means “Deer Harbor” in Mandarin. At one point, Lukang became the second largest city on the island of Taiwan due to mass immigration from the Chinese mainland. It was the hub of commerce, culture and communications for the area. Historians describe the fourth phase of Taiwanese culture (1684-1842 AD) as the “Lukang Period” because of its historical significance in the development of Taiwan.
2. Summary of Our Project
We are a group of sixth-grade students from Ludongguo. We are interested in using web design to explore the tea cultry in Lukang .More than 200 years ago, some tea trees from Fujian Province in continental China were delivered to Taiwan. It was the beginning of the tea culture in Taiwan.During the Ching dynasty, the port of Lukang on Taiwan's west-central coast was one of the island's most important ports, and along with Tainan and Mengchia (currently the Wanhua district of Taipei) was a main point of entry for immigrants from the China mainland. The idea of this special research on 'The Art of Tea in Lukang' originated from the supplementary resources of textbooks in the social field . Through this research, let us have a deeper understanding of the business connotation of local tea shops and a preliminary understanding of tea. We searched for the tea art of paper-wrapped tea, researched Lukang tea shop and Taiwan's tea drinking culture, and understood the influence of early tea drinking culture on Taiwan's life style.
3. Our Computer and Internet Access
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom:more than 6
C. Connection speed used in the classroom:dedicated connection
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet:more than 6
4. Problems We Had To Overcome
Because daily school work was busy, some members delayed the writing due time, and members did not finish their assignment on time.Overcome the Problem: In order to resolve this difficulty, we utilized the early self-study everyweek made good progress.
5. Our Project Sound Bite
During the Cyberfair project period,what we learned most was writing, since it challenged our logic, and the fluency of utilizing language. We were so inexperienced that we always had many misspellings, so we needed to review our writing after it was done. We always found many missing words and unsmooth context when we reviewed our writing, so our articles needed to be edited again and again. The most laborious ones were not us but the teachers who continued to guide us. Not only did they always care for our writing condition, but also they pointed out the areas that needed to be improved after we visited each site. They helped us improve much. Thank you for all the guidance from the teachers.
6. How did your activities and research for this CyberFair Project support standards, required coursework and curriculum standards?
1. Language: Through many discussions and meetings, we improved our skills on communication and problem solving. We could focus on problems, and properly provide suggestions. From many interviews, we built data analysis and key point summary. With the guidance of the teachers, we could finally write and edit the articles from different angles and using various narrative ways. We also learned to read and appreciate other writers’ thoughts and creativity to develop our own writing and language expression.
2. Social Studies: We learned more about the historical and cultural background and geographical environment of about Lukang Old Street through Cyberfair project. We also learned the development and evolution from the past to today to understand the big changes. In the production of webpage, we learned team work, enhanced our data ability, increased our interests and research spirit on subject production, cultivated our communication ability, participated in various activities, and demonstrated the spirit of participating in the society.
3. Mathematics: In webpage production, we translated our words into data through questionnaire, and learned to use Microsoft Excel to produce statistical charts to analyze everyone’s view on Lukang Old Street. 4. Arts and Humanities: It is very important to pick the appropriate background color for making the website. By using artwork software, we learned how to match colors, and how to create artwork. Chromatics taught us that different colors give people different feeling.